Sunday, July 17, 2011

Interview with Philippe Batini






q)Please tell us your name and where you practice.

a)My name is Philippe Batini and I live in Angoulême, France.

q) Why do you make art?

a)it is verydifficult, it just happened, child,I began to want to copy artists, then I wanted to make my images and i continued for the rest of my life until today.


q) How do you work ?

a)I work my little plastic figurines from the years 60, they are scanned and I work with these pictures using Photoshop, just to add one more reality lighting

q) What´s your background?

a)self-taught, then seller in bookstores until today illustrator.

q) What role does the artist have in society?

a)show images, show, dream, help them live

q) What was a seminal experience for you ?

a)When I have to discover computer for my job, it opened to me many possibilities, particularly the scanner.

q) Has your practice changed over time ?

a)At the beginning It was the paining , now the photography with a scanner.

q) What art do you most identify with ?

a)Photography.

q) What´s your strongest memory of your childhood ?

a)The games with my little plastic soldiers. The studios Harcourt's photos in the cinemas hall in the 1years 60.

q) What themes do you pursue ?

a)memories of childhood again see through the eyes of that age

q) Describe a real life experience that inspired you.

a)the day long after I opened a box of my old toys and a universe where everything is put together in my mind

q) What´s your most embarrassing moment ?

a)I am a very embarrassed, it is difficult to find a moment, to stay in the art, visits to galleries where owners look at your work as if they saw a dead cat may be examples.

q) What jobs have you done other than being an artist ?

a)self-taught, then seller in bookstores until today illustrator.

q) What responses have you had to your work ?

a)it begins to attract people after a very long time to ignore.

q) What do you dislike about the artworld ?

a)too much glitter, too fashionable, too commercial,not enough curiosity, diversity.

q) What research do you do ?

a)I research my childhood, find the way we think, to imagine , that we have at these ages.

q) What is your dream project?

a)course to expose , with a perfect material in a prestigious place, it's not very original, but deep down I think many artists dream of the same.

q) What´s the best piece of advice you have been given ?

a)go further

q) What couldn’t you do without?

a)Unfortunately far too many useless things, but which form a protective cocoon around me against the outside.

q) What makes you angry?

a)in art, the injustice of the success of some artists who we can see the lightness of work, compared to others which we see the depth of work.

q) What is your worst quality?

a)be careful always to add, do not know stop me, I often passed the point where the picture is at its peak, and I work unnecessary detail.

q) Dogs or Cats ?

a)cats, to silence and loving presence, they are just there!

q) Making art is a lot like being on lsd. Know what I mean ?

a)It's very nice when creating works for a while and is enjoyed around the world, everything is concentrated there.

q) What does “ copy” mean to you ?

a)copy means for me a of opportunity to see my work , that's life for a successful image to grow, to be pirated, it is ultimately a tribute (to me)

q) What´s your favorite cuss word ?

a)In french i think is oh,putain!!! :(

No comments: