Thursday, June 30, 2011

Interview with Ariel Zachor (a.k.a. R.E.L)






q)Please tell us your name and where you practice.

a)My name is Ariel Zachor (a.k.a. R.E.L) and I live and work in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

q) Why do you make art?

a)Being creative is the only thing I know and Art is the direct manifestation of that.

q) How do you work ?

a)I use different methods and Medias depends on the concept.

q) What´s your background?

a)I was born and raised in Israel, both my parents being Holocaust survivors. After my military service I left Israel, disillusioned and came to Amsterdam where I followed my Art education at the Rietveld Academy. I live and work in Amsterdam since then, for the last 22 years.

q) What role does the artist have in society?

a)To give the simplest solutions to the most complicated processes and problems.

q) What was a seminal experience for you ?

a)Death of beloved.

q) Has your practice changed over time ?

a)Yes, it evolves and changes through time like space itself.

q) What art do you most identify with ?

a)Any form of expression that can touch me and activate my imagination and emotions.

q) What´s your strongest memory of your childhood ?

a)Smells & colours.

q) What themes do you pursue ?

a)Life as we know it and its decay.

q) Describe a real life experience that inspired you.

a)Various things, the death of my parents, 9/11 and women.

q) What´s your most embarrassing moment ?

a)Yet to happen…

q) What jobs have you done other than being an artist ?

a)I cooked, but that is another passion of mine, being creative with food.

q) What responses have you had to your work ?

a)Like everyone else, some love it and some hate it. Any emotional response is welcome, regardless.

q) What do you dislike about the artworld ?

a)Any effort to create rules, definitions or borders.

q) What research do you do ?

a)The life and work of Ariel Zachor!

q) What is your dream project?

a)To eradicate corruption and greed.

q) What´s the best piece of advice you have been given ?

a)Never argue with your Mom, just say yes and later do whatever you choose to do. (by my Father when I was 9, it worked!).

q) What couldn’t you do without?

a)My body and my soul.

q) What makes you angry?

a)In justice, greed and disrespect.

q) What is your worst quality?

a)Impulsive.

q) Dogs or Cats ?

a)Cats!

q) Making art is a lot like being on lsd. Know what I mean ?

a)I know what you mean but for me it is more like therapy or meditation.

q) What does “ copy” mean to you ?

a)Forgetting to be original.

q) What´s your favorite cuss word ?

a)FUCK

No comments: