Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Interview with Alex Hohlov




q)Please introduce yourself.


a) My Name is Alex Hohlov. I am a designer.


q) Where do you live and work?


a) I live and work in Philadelphia, U.S.


q) How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it?


a) Abstract experiments with perspective, movement and form that has both randomness and order.


q) How did you start in the arts? How/when did you realize you were an artist?


a) I experimented with stuff as long as i can remember. While growing up i was heavily involved in skateboarding and that whole culture led me to discover things i can do with my art, and i started designing stickers, posters and doing graffiti.


q) What are your favorite art materials and why?


a) I like all kinds of mediums. But my favorite would be my computer.


q) What/who influences you most?


a) I draw inspiration from almost anything, architecture, music, films and movies, fashion, art movements like Russian constructivism and German Bauhaus and million other things I see day in day out.


q) Describe a typical day of art making for you.


a) I usually work at night on my computer while listening to music or watching some videos online.


q) Do you have goals, specific things you want to achieve with your art or in your career as an artist?


a) I don't set many goals, just want to keep improving and reach out to more people.


q) What contemporary artists or developments in art interest you?


a) I like work of Jean-Michel Basquiat, Jeff Koons, Takashi Murakami, Cai Guo-Qiang and many others.


q) How long does it typically take you to finish a piece?


a) It depends on the complexity of the piece, and sometimes if i am lucky and the muse drops by, then i can produce something really quick.


q) Do you enjoy selling your pieces, or are you emotionally attached to them?


a) It's nice to see it sell, its rewarding to know people like your work.


q) Is music important to you? If so, what are some things you're listening to now?


a) I love music and I listen to many of genres. Right now Ratatat is playing at the background.


q) Books?


a) I try to read when i can. Latest book i read called The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell.


q) What theories or beliefs do you have regarding creativity or the creative process?


a) I believe everyone is creative in some way, just need to keep an open mind and practice.


q) What do you do (or what do you enjoy doing) when you're not creating?


a) I love to skateboard, snowboard, surf, photography and video games.


q) Do you have any projects or shows coming up that you are particularly excited about?


a) Currently working on some freelance projects. Would be great to be in a show one day.


q) Do you follow contemporary art scenes? If so, how? What websites, magazines, galleries do you prefer?


a) I find things online for the most part. Some magazines I like are: Juxtapoz, Computer Arts, Beutifull Decay, Archive.


q) Ask yourself a question you'd like to answer, and answer it.


a)What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? -Don't know, don't care.


q) Any advice for aspiring artists?


a) Hard work never killed anybody.


q) Where can we see more of your work online?


a) www.alexhohlov.com ,

www.veaone.com ,

www.fotics.com ,

www.flickr.com//photos/veaone/

No comments: