Thursday, May 15, 2008

Interview with Justin "Scrappers" Morrison

q)What is your name?

a)Justin "Scrappers" Morrison

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live and work in Portland, Oregon

q)What is your creative process like?

a)I collect junk, read books, listen to music and then sit down and try to fit all the things I love together. It's like making a puzzle.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)I like to work with house paint because it's so thick and gooey. I also happens to be pretty cheap and free most of the time as people tend to give me their unused house paint once their done painting their kitchens and bathrooms.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)I like to make art that reflect the Pacific Northwest culture that I live in. The forest, the animals, the loggers, the hippies and stuff.

q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)Not long. I work on 5-6 pieces at a time and can finish them all in under a week. House paint is thick so you don't have to build up layers, it keeps things simple and bold.

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Maybe this interview? Any time some one I don't know looks at my art and says they like it, I feel like I've done something big and good.
q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)J. Otto, Barry McGee, David Byrne, Marc Bell, Steve Powers, Bwana Spoons,Apak, Os Gemeos and all my buddies at Grass Hut.

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)Sure. I have a show at Giant Robot NY next month and I always have stuff up at Grass Hut in Portland.

q)Anything that people should know about that we don't??

a)I'm gunna be a papa. My wife has a baby in her belly and I really want to name it Camper if it's a boy or Flora if it's a girl.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)Don't work for money or fame. Stay honest. Have fun. Work to create more good in the world.

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)Other work. If I hit an obstical I'll work on something else for a while to get my mind off of it and a solution usually comes up once I stop thinking about it.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?
a)Urban Hipster Folk Art


q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)I studied history, environmental ethic and advertising, so I have a lot of ideas. I don't having any art training, so I don't have any limitations.I'm free to make anything I want.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can't imagine living without?

a)New music. I can't do anything without new music in my ears.

q)Who are your influences?

a)Everyone.

q)What inspires you to create?

a)The fear of death with out triumph.


q)…your contacts…

No comments: