Thursday, May 8, 2008

Interview with Jason Polan

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)I am from Michigan. I wear glasses. I like sending mail to people I like.

q) Had you always planned on being an artist [or had you other hopes]?

a)I wanted to be a professional baseball player and also a professional basketball player. I have always liked drawing though.

q) Do you have a preferred medium to work on? Why?

a)I like drawing with different pens. I think my favorite surface is plain typing paper. It is usually available. I also like painting directly onto walls.

q) How would you describe your style?

a)I am not sure. I try to do all different things. I am not sure about my style.

q) Do you go through any certain processes while trying to produce your work?

a)Yea. Usually I will think of an idea first; a visual of something in its completed form. Then I will spend all of my time trying to solve it. I will try to make something as close to what I initially intended as possible. Sometimes I think of a title first. That is usually for a book. After the title I will work on illustrations or other things (collecting clippings from newspapers or magazines, or photographs, or text) and compile these things until there are enough for a book and then I will make it.
q) What are you working on at present?

a)I just made a book with Derek Erdman, and one with Shawn Creeden, and Michael Worful and I are making a book of photographs that will be done soon. I am working on some other books too. I am also doing a project called The Drawing Project right now. I have been doing it for the past 161 days. I post a new drawing each day and send it to the first person who responds after the post. I also just started a project called Every Person in New York, where I am trying to draw every person in New York. People can email me if they would like meto draw them somewhere and then they may see themselves on the blog that evening. I am trying to post the drawings pretty regularly. I am also a member of the Taco Bell Drawing Club!

q) What about recent sources of inspirations?

a)A lot of different things: Things I eat are inspiring. I am also inspired by a lot of different people, artists, engineers, cooks, and scientists. I get ideas on airplanes sometimes.

q) What are some of your obsessions?

a)Collaborating with people on things, eating, the mail, and collecting things.

q) Which galleries have you shown at and which galleries would you like to show at?

a)Lump gallery/projects (http://www.lumpgallery.com/ ) was most recent.I want to show work at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

q) If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?

a)Through mail:

Jason Polan
P.O. Box 15
Prince Street Station
New York,
NY 10012
U.S.A.

Or Through email:

Art at Jason Polan dot com

q) Do you have any suggestions or advice for artists that are just starting out?

a)That is what I am. I do not have any advice.
q) Who are your favorite artists?

a)
Derek Erdman
Rich Jacobs
Bill Thelen
Michael Worful
Eric White
Alex Toth
Todd Hido
Jordin Isip
Jay Ryan
Gary Panter
Jason Fulford
David Shrigley
Hatte Hamilton
Miranda July
Sol Lewitt
Phil Frost
Mike Mills
Bruce Bickford
Tucker Nichols
Tom Sachs
David Greenberger

q) What books are on your nightstand?

a)There is a magazine with a horse on it. Right now I am reading the book Frankenstein!

q) To what weaknesses are you most indulgent?

a)I wish I worked harder.
q)...your contacts.





No comments: