Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Interview with Libby Black






q)Please tell us your name and where you practice.



a)Libby Black
Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, and Installation

q) Why do you make art?



a)I make art cause I love it. I like to be alone in my studio and take a journey through a painting. It fills a part of me that no one can touch or fill.


q) How do you work ?



a)Sometimes fast, sometimes slow.


q) What´s your background?



a)I was born in Toledo Ohio and moved to Plano, Texas when I was in High school.
My mom put me in art classes at the Toledo Art Museum and private lessons when I was in Texas. I have two older brothers. They don't make art.

q) What role does the artist have in society?



a)It seems like a very small one. We have walked out on a limb. To keep making work and trying to survive is a big project in this world.

q) What was a seminal experience for you ?



a)Having a kid with my Partner.


q) Has your practice changed over time ?



a)Yes in the best way. No time is wasted anymore.

q) What art do you most identify with ?



a)Lisa Yuskavage, Nigel Cooke, Manet, Liz Craft, Luc Tuymans, and Philip Guston to name a few.


q) What´s your strongest memory of your childhood ?

a)Driving in Florida with my family when I was younger. We where looking for the guy on the corner selling fake Louis Vuitton Purses. My mom wanted one.


q) What themes do you pursue ?

a)Luxury, Love, Sex, and Lose.


q) Describe a real life experience that inspired you.



a)On the first day of High School in Texas someone had written on the lockers "We're not snobs, we're just better"

q) What jobs have you done other than being an artist ?



a)Teaching. Working in a cafe.


q) What responses have you had to your work ?



a)Love and Hate.

q) What do you dislike about the artworld ?



a)People thinking they are better.

q) What research do you do ?



a)Internet and Fashion magazines.
Lately just looking at my own life.

q) What is your dream project?



a)To keep making work till I die.


q) What´s the best piece of advice you have been given ?



a)Don't do anything for money.

q) What couldn?t you do without?



a)Jeans and nice shoes.

q) What makes you angry?



a)Selfishness.

q) What is your worst quality?



a)Can never make up my mind.


q)…Dogs or Cats ?...



a)Fish


q) Making art is a lot like being on lsd. …Know what I mean ?...



a)Yes


q) What does ? copy? mean to you ?



a)For me it means take it and then take it to the next level!


q) What´s your favorite cuss word ?



a)Mother Fucker!

No comments: