Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Interview with Heather Wilcoxon





q) What is your name and what do you do?


a)Heather Wilcoxon,

Painter/ printer/ drawer/ assemblage


q)When did you really get into art?


a)When I was a child. I always drew and made things.


q)How did you come to the realization that you should try your luck at art on a more serious level?


a)When I was about 36. My father died, got a divorce. So I decided to go back to art school. Life changing!!


q)How did you discover the particular style that you have?


a)Through trial and error. Lots of bad paintings. I had my own etching press and did many monoprints. Also my drawings kept getting more interesting. It all came together about 5 years after I graduated with my MFA from the San Francisco Art Institute.(1988)


q)How would you describe your style?


a)Childlike, cartoonish, folk art-ish, outsider-ish . Similiar to the Colbra artists.


q)Who or what influences your art?


a)Philip Guston, George Baselitz, Basquiat, Elizabeth Murray, children's drawings,

News on TV


q)How often do you create a new piece?


a)I am in my studio everyday. However I would say that I finish one painting a month. Lots of drawings in between and maybe some works on paper.


q)What kind of success have you had with your art?


a)Lots. I have won several awards: 2 Pollock-Krasner/ 3 Marin Arts Council awards, 3 residencies. The fact that I am supporting myself with my work, either by teaching or selling says a lot about success for me.


q)What would be the ultimate goal for you and your art?


a)To have a museum show. Like a 10 year survey.


q)What do you see as an accomplishment in the way of art?


a)The fact that I have become a good painter.


q)What kind of message, if any, do you try to convey through your art?


a)Lots of messages. Social, political, personal all with a bit of humor.


q)Sum up your art in one word.


a)LIFE


q)Any additional comments?


a)"Paint what you want and die happy" Henry Miller


q)…your contacts…


a) Jackfischergallery.com


brendataylorgallery.com

No comments: