Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Interview with Kristina Bieganski

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a) I am born in England from Polish parents and brought up outside London. I now live by the sea in Devon with my husband and two children. I have been working constantly with my art for 22 years. My whole life is a creative process and I am involved in various projects including musical, theatrical and writing & film.


q) Had you always planned on being an artist [or had you other hopes]?

a)Originally I studied languages and expected to work abroad and travel alot/. I studied art history in London but became bored with academics and started creating art rather than reading about it.

q)Do you have a preferred medium to work on? Why?

a) I enjoy mixed media because of the experimental nature of it and element of discovery. I am particularly enjoying ceramics because it lends itself to surprise, experiment and texture.


q)How would you describe your style?

a) Ecclectic, tender & soul searching and using the lost and found .


q) Do you go through any certain processes while trying to produce your work?

a) My processes whilst working are a combination of complete absorption and allowing the pieces to organically evolve. I very rarely sketch anything...materials fall into place and I allow my art to having a living quality. Sometimes it is very emotional . Other times very humorous. The creative process for me is the ultimate languge to express my understanding of the world without words.


q) What are you working on at present?

a) I am completing a number of mix media paintings on ROMANCE themes inspired by romantic stories aimed at housewives in womens magazines of the 1960's. Daydreaming and secret loves. Also I am working on a series of ceramic helmets symbolising power and imperialism. How headresses and wigs imply staus . If some of my work is frivolous and decorative I need to also explore more serious subjects like war & power struggle simmultaneously.


q) What about recent sources of inspirations?

a) Answer above.


q) What are some of your obsessions?

a) I tend to shift between dark and light themes as described above. I am a passionate person and I aknowledge lifes dualities. There is no tenderness without selfishness, war without peace, As humans we shift continuously...we all have highs and lows ...my work expresses the human state. Universality is my obsession.


q)Which galleries have you shown at and which galleries would you like to show at?

a) I have shown my art in Galleries around Devon - at the moment my work is at the 69 collective Gallery in Totnes. It is a very inspired place and I am proud to be there. I would like my work to go to the Tate Modern in London and around Europe. Next year it will be showing in Antwerp.


q)If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?

a) By email, via my website www.kristinabieganski.com all my details background, past exhibitions etc... are there. Anyone is welcome to write to me.


q)Do you have any suggestions or advice for artists that are just starting out?

a) Be prolific. Don't give up your vision. Do what is natural to you even if it is different to everyone else. Be honest and true to yourself ....don't be a faker. The creative world is a fantastic place if you are natural within it. If you feel worn out by it all have a rest and honour yourself. Don't worry it won't fade away.

q)Who are your favorite artists?

a) Robert Rauschenberg ,Kurt Schwitters,Gustav Klimt, Marcel Duchamp, John Heartfield. Van Gogh , Josef Beuys , Fridha Kahlo, Louise Bourgeoise,Hannah Hoch, Max Ernst.


q) What books are on your nightstand?

a) Book on Janis Joplin

book on elvis

Conversation with God.
q) To what weaknesses are you most indulgent?

a) Nice cold pint of lager - Stella Artois.

No comments: