Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Interview with Kate Malone

q)What is your name?

a)Kate Malone

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live and work in East London and in Provence. Two studios combined with two homes.

q)What is your creative process like?

a)It varies, but I usually have a thought that usually comes to me when I am not thinking about it, then I follow a small idea through to a clay piece, and if it is interesting that starts the evolution of a series of pieces. I have different series going on at the same time.

q)What is your favorite medium?

a)Clay, raw clay.

q)What is your current favorite subject?

a)Nature, and crystalline microscopy.




q)How long does it take for you to finish a piece? This varies, but an average piece might take 30 hours over a period of six weeks.

q)What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

a)Still being enchanted at the thought of working.

q)Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)Andrew Logan.

q)Can we buy your art anywhere?

a)No, exclusively through my only Art Dealer…Adrain Sassoon

q)Anything that people should know about that we don’t??

a) I am looking for a place to set up a third studio-home in Barcelona.

q)What is your best piece of advice for those who would like to rise in their level of artistry?

a)To persevere, to follow the most enjoyable elements of what you do...just get on with it.

q)What inspires you to keep going when the work gets frustrating or tough?

a)Letters I get form school kids who like my work, and that I need to earn a living for my family.

q)How do you describe your work to those who are unfamiliar with it?

a)Pieces that show just a fraction of the wonder of nature and the alchemy of ceramics. Pieces that make you feel secure and feel good.

q)What kind of training did you have which helped you achieve your current level of artistry?

a)Six years of specific training in ceramics, a BA then an MA at the Royal College of Art. My education was during a time when there was a good supply of materials and great teaching and money was not scarce within the system.

q)Is there a tool or material that you can’t imagine living without?

a)A rubber kidney.

q)Who are your influences?

a)Mother nature, Andrew Logan, my Art Dealer and clients, friends and family.

q)What inspires you to create?

a)The Clay and the joy of working.



q)…your contacts…

a) My e-mail, or my Art Dealer.

No comments: