Thursday, May 8, 2008

Interview with Cornelia O’Donovan

q) Well, first of all please tell us a little about yourself.

a)Hello my name is Cornelia O’Donovan; I live and work in London. I trained in Theatre Arts and Production and I have a First in Visual Communications. Last June I received a Masters from the Royal College of Art. I love animals! All of them.

q) Had you always planned on being an artist [or had you other hopes]?

a)It just seemed to turn out this way!I have a constant need to make things. If im not making things I feel wierd. Before my postgraduate study at the Royal College of art I trained and was commissioned in different areas of Illustration, Design and Printed Textiles. I have done a lot of related study to my work. I prize the commitment needed and experimentation aspect of further education. Also I love cooking, if I wasn’t an artist I would like to cook.


q) Do you have a preferred medium to work on?

a)I love the endless possibilities of a new piece of paper, the sizes, textures, and big paper on a roll. Walls are good too; I’ve painted on buildings. I use a wide range of materials- sewing to 3D sculptural pieces. I love stationary!

q) How would you describe your style?

a)Hand made, fantastical D.I.Y

q) Do you go through any certain processes while trying to produce your work?

a) It’s a poetic mix from technique and narrative. My research starts in a 'documentary' spirit Collecting, writing, reading and from a catalogue of ideas grows to large scale, more detailed piece, at the moment mostly collages and drawings.

q) What are you working on at present?

a)I like to try a bit of everything. A new set of limited edition screen prints for my shop. A commissioned hand sewed English sheep dog! I have been commissioned to make a set of dolls house interiors from paper, collaborating with other artists. I’d to collaborate with a ceramicist. I’d like to make more hand painted wallpaper.

q) What about recent sources of inspirations?

a)Urban landscapes, Superstition, folklore and the day to day... In Prague I saw a church made of bones. Cycling in the great outdoors! Seriously I love to swim it keeps me focused, Drawing everyday is a lifestyle choice and needs a lot of Discipline. I am really keen to explore cross-disciplinary collaborations, and I work with other artists and groups in the UK and worldwide.

q) What are some of your obsessions?

a)Making things at home. My mother taught us to make so many things with our hands.

q) Which galleries have you shown at and which galleries would you like to show at?

a)This April I had a show In Wales, the biggest collection of my work I shown to date, called Fauna and Folly. It was a selection of ceramic pieces some really large-scale collages and new drawings.You can see pictures of the gallery and work on my blog. I’d like to paint some backdrops and buildings.My work has been shown on the Alternative London Fashion week and printed worldwide in the World of Interiors Magazine.

q) If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?

a)Email or an old fashioned letter is nice.


q) Do you have any suggestions or advice for artists that are just starting out?

a)Keeping a visual record of your ideas to refer back on, it’s a personal mythology to turn to when you don’t know where to go next. Keep on Keeping on!

q) Who are your favorite artists?

a)There are so many! Some that I constantly fall in love with are Niki de Saint Phalle, Kate Malone, Chris Johanson, Olle Eksell, Sara Fanelli, Kaffe Fassett, and Peter Doig.

q) What books are on your nightstand?

a)The Bedside book of birds by Graeme Gibson, The Neon Bible by John Kennedy Toole, The Diary of Frida Kahlo, A confederacy of Dunces by J. Kennedy Toole again

q) To what weaknesses are you most indulgent?

a)Gosh- Probably a lot of Impulse and little bit of Selfishness.


q)…. your contacts…

No comments: